“Christmas is Love”
♥SUNDAY 1, NOV. 29, 2020
- Begin: Have everyone bow their heads and pray for God’s blessing.
- Light the first purple, or Prophecy candle – the candle of hope.
- Reading: The prophet Isaiah told of Jesus’ birth, and the hope he would bring to everyone for the forgiveness of sins. Jesus was called Immanuel, or “God with us”. He brought hope that we might personally know and worship our Creators. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9) This hope is founded in our faith and obedience. If we choose to believe and seek it, hope opens the door to peace, joy, and love – all part of a life in a relationship with God, and the next three advent Sunday celebrations.
- Prayer: Father, help me to have the faith needed to put my hopes in your promises.
- Thought: “Hope is where you start, and faith carries you the rest of the way.”
- Optional Activity: Pick one or more topics below to discuss.
- What does hope mean? Why do we have hope? How do we attain hope? What does hope feel like (contrast to hopelessness)?
- Why does the season of Advent begin with the theme of hope?